THE FOX THEATRE (at 7th Avenue & Olive Street) had the historic misfortune of opening on April 19, 1929 – a mere six months before the stock market crash and beginning of the Great Depression. Tough times saw the grand Spanish Baroque-style venue changing ownerships and identities over subsequent years, at times presenting entertainment as the Roxy, the 7th Avenue, the Emerald Palace, and finally the Music Hall (razed in 1992). But, while still doing business as the Fox, its house orchestra included some of Seattle's finest players. Here is a newly unearthed photograph showing the ensemble's dapper woodwind section, who were all prominent members of the town's American Federation of Musicians Local-76. Seen (left-to-right) are:
  • Ronald Phillips (1906-2004): clarinet / conductor, joined AFM 76 in 1920, also played with the Seattle Symphony and was a noted UW instructor.
  • Frank Horsfall (1883-1968): flute, joined AFM 76 in 1908, also played with the Seattle Symphony, and has a major annual flute competition named in his honor.
  • Whitney Tustin (1911-2002): english horn / oboe, joined AFM 76 in 1927, also played with the Seattle Symphony and was an important local oboe teacher.
  • Angelo Recchia (1898-1981): clarinet / saxophone / oboe, joined AFM 76 in 1918, and (according to AFM 76-493's Secretary, Kirsten James) was a quite probably another member of the Seattle Symphony.